There are more than 200 types of cancer, out of which breast cancer is the most common in Indian women. Breast cancer usually develops in the form of a tumor or lump in the breast tissues that can be felt through physical examination or diagnosed through X-ray screening. They mostly occur in women, but in some cases, they are found in men too.
It is important to understand that most breast tumors are benign, not spreading outside the breasts. But they need a thorough examination.
The best way to prevent breast cancers is by being knowledgeable of how and where it starts and how to physically examine it at home to avoid any advanced consequences. Following are some simple steps that can be followed for self-breast examination:
- Women should check in front of the mirror for any unusual size, shape, or color around the breast.
- One must be alert at examining even shape without distortion or any lump found in the breast.
- Upon seeing any changes such as puckering or bulging of the skin, redness, soreness, or rash on breasts, one must immediately discuss these problems with an oncologist.
Factors That Add To Risk Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer can be caused due to underlying reasons such as:
- Unhealthy and Unbalanced Diet
- Alcohol consumption or smoking
- Not breastfeeding
- Hormonal Therapy after menopause
Best Prevention Methods
There is no sure-shot way to prevent breast cancer completely. Still, a few pointers may help in preventing and early diagnosis of it such that fatal consequences can be avoided can be listed as:
- Maintaining a healthy balanced diet
- Frequent self-examination for any lumps in the breast.
Women who are at higher risks of having cancer due to hereditary factors or not having childbirth should consider visiting a doctor on a bi-yearly basis.
Diagnosis Of Breast Cancer
- Some diagnostic methods of breast cancer involve:
- Breast Self -Examination
- Mammogram- X-ray of breasts
- Breast Ultrasound
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) of breasts
- Breast cell autopsy
Breast Cancer Treatment
The treatment of breast cancers can be classified into the following categories.
Local treatment such as surgery and radiation target only the cancerous cells and tissues without disturbing the rest.
It is a drug-based treatment that involves immunotherapy, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, targeted drug therapy, etc.
The treatment and approaches depend on several factors such as the stage of cancer, cancer interfering with other bodily functions,
Read more about our surgical treatments.
Breast cancer can be treated in the early stages. So, proper diagnosis and treatment have greater chances of slashing breast cancer consequences.
Prevention is better than cure, and awareness is the key to tackling breast cancer.
To this date, Dr. Amit Gandhi has helped thousands of patients. So if you are looking for Breast cancer Treatment in Mumbai, Visit him or Contact him.